How a SIG P210 Works

The SIG P210 (Swiss Army designation Pistole 49) is a locked breech self loading, semi-automatic pistol designed and manufactured in Neuhausen am Rheinfall (Canton of Schaffhausen, Switzerland) by SIG. The former SIG P210 model is now the SIG Sauer P210.

It is of all-steel construction chambered in 9×19mm Parabellum and 7.65×21mm Parabellum. It was used from 1949 to 1975 by the Swiss army and police units. It was also adopted and is still in service with the Military of Denmark (as M/49 Neuhausen or simply Neuhausen), in 1951 by the German Bundespolizei and in shooting sports.

The pistols were decommissioned and replaced by the SIG Sauer P220 (Swiss Army designation Pistole 75) which was designed as a replacement for the SIG P210 by the newly formed SIG Sauer company in 1975. Second-hand P210s are greatly valued by shooting sports competitors. The SIG Sauer P210 was made by SIG Sauer, GMBH in Eckenforde, Germany and was exported to SIG Sauer of New Hampshire until recently when it was announced that SIG Sauer in New Hampshire will produce the SIG Sauer P210 in Exeter, N.H. in the United States beginning in 2017.

The design was derived from Charles Petter Modèle 1935A pistol. In 1937 SIG acquired a license for the Petter Browning system from SACM in order to develop a replacement for the Luger Parabellum 06/29, which had been in service since 1900. Apparently not satisfied with the Petter Browning design or the changes they had made to it, SIG evaluated no less than 11 prototypes from 1942 through 1944. Selbstladepistole Neuhausen model 44/16 pistol production began in 1944. Some of the original Petter Browning features had been retained, specifically the self-contained firing and recoil systems. The Neuhausen 44/16 had a magazine capacity of 16 rounds.

Development was slowed by the Second World War. After testing various experimental models (such as the aforementioned 44/16 with a double column magazine), the 47/8 model was adopted in Oct 1948 as the Pistole Modell 1949 and (SP47/8) for civilian market. Some previous series were tested by Swedish sport shooters and by the Danish army (Danish Defence designation Pistol M/1949).[3] In 1957, the civil designation (SP47/8) was definitively changed to P210 according to the company nomenclature policy.